Saturday, August 9, 2008

I Am A Runner -OR- Fat Girl Running

So, I think I have hit a major milestone in my training. I was running at Cooper Creek Park on Thursday evening just as a huge thunderstorm was blowing in. The breeze was cool, especially coming off of the lake. There were people everywhere walking and running and fishing and playing with their kids. I realized about halfway through my second 8 minute run that I was actually enjoying myself! I was running AND enjoying it? Is that even possible? Well, today I was supposed to run 20 mintues straight. "Ha ha ha" I said on Thursday. I don't think that's happening! Well, low and behold, I did it! And, I enjoyed it! I have found that after about 5 minutes into a run there is some chemical or hormone that kicks in and it really starts to feel great! I never knew that before as I have never before in my whole life run for more time than it takes to steal second base (that's not long if you plan on being safe!). So, I have decided that I can call myself a runner now.

Now for the bad news............

I have not lost one ounce since I started running 6 weeks ago. I have not gained any weight--except for the 10 pounds I gained in the first 5 weeks after Kendall was called to be the Bishop--but that was a while ago. I think it is due to the ravenous appetite I've had since I started training. Every week I have a new set of runs and each week I push quite a bit harder than the previous week. So, I am certain that once I get to the end of my training program in 4 more weeks my body will adjust and my appetite will calm down and the weight will start to fall off at a rapid rate. That's what I am counting on anyway! I'm absolutely pleased with the improvement in my legs and rear though. I'll take any little bit I can right now!

4 comments:

MCMULLIN FAMILY said...

You don't need to lose weight. You are perfect the way you are. Good for you for your running success . . . you are inspiring.

Nanabee said...

Yes, what the McMullins said!

The Harper Family said...

Woohoo!

You go girl!!

Me said...

WOA WOA WOA! Remember though that your body is working on building muscle so don't go by weight alone. You need to measure yourself in all the keys places and figure that in too! And emotionally, tell yourself it is not about the weight. Put the scale away for awhile and enjoy that you are enjoying it and you WILL be surprised! GO KIM!!!!!