Friday, January 30, 2009

A Weekend in the Mountains-Sweet Freedom!

Kendall and I ran away to the mountains all by ourselves last weekend! It was so quiet. Here is a photo of the dog butt that welcomed us at the front steps to our cabin. Also a pic of the dead leaves on a tree out behind the cabin that actually looked lovely in this light after a light rain.













Following is a boatload of photos at Anna Ruby Falls just North of Helen, GA at the Unicoi State Park. I was playing with the new camera, not sure at all what I'm doing but some of them turned out alright, if I do say so myself.

Now, this next series of photos documents one of my favorite parts of the trip. We had already checked out of the cabin and we headed up to the waterfall. After the hike we were ready for lunch and had decided to grill some hotdogs and reheat a couple of burgers from the night before. The park had great picnic areas so we found one with a pavilion and got our stuff out of the cooler. Kendall noticed that we had some Duraflame logs in the back of the Yukon so we grabbed one to put in the grill. We thought we would be clever and roast the dogs over the flame on a stick so.......


The next photo occurs after the following conversation:

Kim: I found a great smooth , skinny stick.
Kendall: Is it toxic?

Kim: Uhhhh...

Kendall: Let me check.

Kim: How exactly do you do that Mr. Eagle Scout?

Kendall: (mumbled with stick in mouth) You stick it in your mouth like this and if it burns it's toxic.

Kim: (stifling laughter) So?

Kendall: We're good!

After determining that the stick would not kill us we put the dog on it and held it over the flame. It was after about five minutes that we learned something new. A Duraflame log puts out a LOT of soot. Check out the hotdog. Would you eat that? Yeah, me neither. So now what? It's about 42* outside by the way.

Kim: I sure wish we had some foil. Then we would just wrap everything or lay it on top of the grill to cook on.
Kendall: That would be nice.
Kim: Wait a minute. I have an idea.


Now, considering the temperature of the air and weakness of the flame, we had a while to wait. What does one do when lunch is taking too long? Well, the chocolate is open now so we might as well have dessert first!


Yum!
Then, finally, lunch is served!



This is the kind of adventure best had without five hungry kids in tow.

5 comments:

The Harper Family said...

That sounds like a fantastic dinner!

I think you both should earn some kind of badge for that. :)

The Harper Family said...

Oh I nominated your blog for an award! Go see mine to find out! :)

Me said...

How fun! Those smores are so yummy looking! How romantic! You two should run away more often!

Shillig 1 said...

Love it! That is my kind of getaway.

Dre + Drew - Pacific Northwest Living - DuPont, WA said...

I love you guys. I was laughing so hard, I could hear the conversation in my head. Yeah only an Eagle Scout would know that. I think I am going to ask Andrew if he knows, I don't want to die if we ever do something like this. Looks like you had so much fun and your pictures are fantastic. If you ever want to do a getaway just the four we are up for it anytime!