Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Count your blessings

I am a fan of the late Dorothea Lange.  She was a black and white photographer in the first half of the 20th century.  Below are 4 pre-World War II photographs, taken for the U.S. Farm Security Administration (FSA), investigating living conditions of families hired to work in cotton fields and farms in Arizona and California.  She was originally hired by the government to take photos of the dust-bowl landscape to be used to track the devastation and progress towards improvement but she found that her passion was the people.  She began taking portraits of the people living in the areas and conditions she was hired to photograph.  The government found these photographs to be as useful, if not more so, than photos of the landscape alone.  These three touch me.  They remind me of how truly blessed I am.  They remind me to be grateful for my home, my husband (gainfully employed) and the modern conveniences that make our lives almost too easy. 

DL DL2 DL1DL3

No comments: