Friday, March 27, 2009

Whoever said a new business takes over your life wasn't kidding......And, the rest of the story.

Okay, it’s only been a couple of weeks for me but it is all consuming! I have not even had my first shoot yet but Oi!, the website, the business cards, the marketing…If I am not doing something with it I am worrying about it. Still, better than the ole 9-5 rat race if you ask me! I do have eight sessions on the books for the next month. Not bad for a $60 table at a consignment sale! I hope I can cut the six months thing a little short though. I’m hoping that once I have a couple of shoots under my belt I can quit worrying and just enjoy it. I can’t say thank you enough to those of you who have helped me prepare. I’m sure I will be calling on you again soon!
So, other than that, same old stuff going on around here. Translated that means:

I wake up in the morning and stay in bed for as long as possible just enjoying the quiet.
The quiet ends, not to be seen again until midnight.
Everyone off to school so that Brantley and I can start the party.
Party is over, time for the bus.
Fix dinner amid cries of ”I’m not going to eat that” and retorts of “I don’t really care if you eat it but you will not be eating anything else, this is not a fast food joint. And, you will be at the table with us until everyone is done eating.”
Everyone does eat eventually.
With full tummies the party starts again.
Party over, bedtime.
Now the real party starts (they just thought the real party was earlier!) Translated this means:
Finish up the dishes.
Save stray shoes from the puppy.
Kim Blogs while the Bishop checks his e-mail.
Maybe a bath, and if we are lucky the phone does not ring after 11:00.
The Bishop goes to bed, 11:00 is his limit (unless the phone does ring in which case the “bishop adrenaline” kicks in and he amazes me with what he can accomplish so late at night.)
This is when I edit photos, work on the blog, check the weekly schedule again, watch House, Lost, or Lie to Me online.
BED!!!

Now, what do I really try to get done each day? Well, I really feel like a day has gone well if: I get to actually speak to each of my teenagers (and tween) for at least five minutes (consecutive) about anything. I get to play with Brantley (this does not include taking her picture, she does not think that is fun!) and read with Mallory. I cook something for dinner. We actually read scriptures together before family prayer. The Bishop and I get to discuss the day.
That’s the goal. I currently have a 75% success rate. But the saying “Busy people get more done” does apply to me. You’d think starting a business would drop my success rate but it won’t. By requiring the need to be more organized I will be and I will get more done. (Shhhh, that’s the story I am telling myself and I am sticking to it!)

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Love the daily schedule, Kim. What a party!

The Harper Family said...

You amaze me!!!

The Starbuck Family said...

I'm glad the old, "I'm not eating that" line isn't just at our house.=)